Monday, January 2, 2012

Fostering Dogs


To fill the void of losing our beloved dog Pepper back in April 2010, we decided to foster other coonhounds in need. These dogs usually come from high kill shelters in the States and the foster group I volunteer with tries to save all coonies.

Shortly after Pepper's death, we welcome Mojo into our home. She was a sweet dog, a Bluetick that came from a good hunting lineage and thus she was used to breed. She was a kennel dog, she quickly took over our walk in closet as her den.

She was also part Houdini. She could actually climb fences, not just jump but climb using her paws like hands. At first we couldn't figure out how she kept escaping our backyard, but one day we caught her in the act of scaling our wooden gate. I think she was just as surprised as we were that her secret was found out. One night, she fled the backyard and was gone for 8 hours, on a very cold night. Mike found her in the nearby ravine, cold, wet and dirty with a few nicks and cuts.

She eventually found her forever home at the end of 2010 out near Ottawa and has been renamed Rosie. She is doing well in her new home and that's all I can ask for.

Right now we have an English Coonhound Charley, who is a senior hound. He is Mr. Personality. We've had him since January 2011, and in all honesty, he will likely be with us until he passes. It's going to take a special family or person to take him. He's not the friendliest dog to other male dogs and he thinks smaller dogs are like his stuffies. Can't blame the guy, he was likely a one dog hunter's dog. But man he loves people and loves hanging out in cars.

This poem sums up what it is like to foster. Eventually I want to adopt a dog of our own again, but in the meantime, being a foster mom is rewarding.

"There I sat, alone and afraid,

You got a call and came right to my aid.

You bundled me up with blankets and love. And, when I needed it most, you gave me a hug.

I learned that the world was not all that scary and cold. That sometimes there is someone to have and to hold.

You taught me what love is, you helped me to mend.

You loved me and healed me and became my first friend.

And just when I thought you'd done all you do, There came along not one new lesson, but two.

First you said, "Sweetheart, you're ready to go. I've done all I can, and you've learned all I know."

Then you bundled me up with a blanket and kiss. Along came a new family, they even have kids!

They took me to their home, forever to stay. At first I thought you sent me away.

Then that second lesson became perfectly clear. No matter how far, you will always be near.

And so, Foster Mom & Dad, you know I've moved on.

I have a new home, with toys and a lawn. But I'll never forget what I learned that first day.

You never really give your fosters away. You gave me these thoughts to remember you by.

We may never meet again, and now I know why.

You'll remember I lived with you for a time. I may not be yours, but you'll always be mine." - Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment